Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Graduation

Woohoooooo! I finally made it. (Well in May, as I am a tad bit late in writing this post...meh) I began my journey of obtaining my master's in speech and language pathology three years ago and can't believe I have finally graduated! What started as a "full-time" two-year adventure turned into a "part-time" three-year adventure. I use the quotation marks because those of you that know the program at the University of Houston know that "part-time" still exceeds the requirements to be considered full-time and "full-time" really means every minute of your life. Half-way through my first semester I decided to go part-time in order to spend more time at home with Keith since we had JUST gotten married. It was a very difficult decision to make, but looking back I see how God used His plans for my good.

"We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God; those who are called according to His purpose." - Romans 8:28

God's plan allowed me to make friends from two different graduating classes, gave me great externship placements, and blessed me with a fellowship and a supervisor that made such an impact on me. His plan allowed me and Keith to become directors of our Sunday school class, spend time with friends and family.




These three years included many projects, tears, research papers galore, buckets of tears, great clients, happy tears, and a particular client that punched me in the nose, which of course ensued more tears. I learned about diseases, disorders, and differences, but learned even more about caring for people. In August I will begin my adventure working with children with speech and language disorders! Dream come true :)

I am thankful for Keith's family who understood when I needed to lock myself in the back room at Bill and Mema's to work on projects. You never once complained about my anti-socialness when I had to study for my board exam instead of hanging out. I'm thankful for my family who understood when I had to turn them down in order to study. Instead I had family who encouraged me through all of the difficult times and continually prayed for me. Without your love and understanding I would not have made it through graduate school!


No comments:

Post a Comment